Authentication problem (UID 0) SOLVED

Paul cups at acculin.com
Sat Nov 20 15:34:19 PST 2004

Having struggled with this for some hours, indeed changing RunAsUser to No does make encrypted connections work, but this seems like Hobson's choice;

In order to make the traffic encrypted, so I might allow it in through the firewall from the internet for users offsite, I must now run it as root, demanding a leap of faith in cups that I am wondering about.

Wish list:
RunAsUser AND SSL connections
SSL User authentication
A standard ipps port, so as not to confuse it with https

Apache seems to manage this quite well, there is nothing incompatible about SSL and a regular user.

With these things it is quite conceivable that IPP could make substantial inroads into the fax machine function.

Please DON'T junk the RunAsUser setting.

Paul