Need to enter password for lp and lpq several times

Andreas Ehn ehn+cups at kth.se
Wed Nov 24 09:21:43 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm using CUPS (from the Debian package cupsys-1.1.20final+rc1-10) in Debian Sarge on i386 and have a problem using any functions that require authentication.

If I want to print a document using lp, I have to enter my password
three times before it is accepted. If I want to query the status of the
printer queue using lpq, I have to enter the password five (usually) or
four (rarely) times.

I am quite certain that my mistyping the password over and over again is
not the cause of this problem. :)

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andreas