[cups.general] "Dumb-assed" CUPS server

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 24 18:14:47 PST 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 19:18, Gino Relli wrote:
>Is no-one replying to any of my threads because I'm posting to the
> wrong newsgroup? Is this the right group to post unsolvable CUPS
> errors
>Are there any CUPS "pros" who know what my problem is?
><Thread> Re: CUPS permmission prob - Am I dumb, or is the program
> dumb? </Thread>
>
>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:44:09 -0500, Gino Relli wrote:
>> ATTN:
>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> !!! This thread is still open - Can anyone help? !!!
>> !!!                    Please?                   !!!
>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Gino-------->
>> gino at linux.ca
>>
>> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:53:35 -0500, Gino Relli wrote:
>>> In the ./configure script for cups (CVS), there are these flags:
>>>   --with-cups-user        set default user for CUPS
>>>   --with-cups-group       set default group for CUPS
>>>
>>> ..should these be set to anything specific for pure and total
>>> ANONYMOUS access? That's all I want.
>>> Does anyone else use cups "anonymously" (NO-AUTHENTICATION) who
>>> would want to review this thread and give'er a try? It used to
>>> work awesome un-authenicated with same settings/ppds, using the
>>> distro's rpm, *before* I re-compiled my entire system from
>>> source.

This is not something that most normal admins would want to do when
the machine is, or can be, exposed to the internet.  Which is
probably one reason why you aren't getting any answers.  It sounds
dangerous to me, but then I'm a cautious old coot sitting here behind
enough firewall that you cannot find me at my IP addy if I gave it to
you.

I personally have no clues other than a carefull reading of both the
docs, and the .conf files which are liberally commented.
Particularly the .conf files in /etc/cups, ISTR theres a way to give
it a list of ok addresses and address ranges.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)