[cups.general] "Dumb-assed" CUPS server

Gino Relli gino at linux.ca
Thu Nov 25 00:53:52 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:14:47 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> This is not something that most normal admins would want to do when the
> machine is, or can be, exposed to the internet.  Which is probably one
> reason why you aren't getting any answers.

How do you know my home setup? Are you watching what I'm doing right now?
LOL!  Trust me, the CUPS machine is "definately" behind a firewall
machine.

>... theres a way to give it a list of ok addresses and address ranges.

I have the server running only on localhost (127.0.0.1) I have not set any
other addresses to connect yet (192.168.x.x) o, right?  Even eth0
(192.168.x.x) "on the CUPS machine" doesn't have permission to conenct.
When I compiled my system from source, the cups RPM'S (Red-Hat 9) didn't
work - so I thought I'd compile CUPS from source, too. Sounds logical to
me, right? So I compiled the source, and set up the cupsd.config the same
as when I had rpm's installed (I have installed the rpm-cups-server many
times and never had a problem.)  When my error started occuring, I began
the troubleshooting process and eventually worked my way down to attemping
ANY success with just an anonymous server. I figured if I could get it to
work on localhost with anonymous access, then I could slowly start working
towards the original config file, which contained the necessary security
and router information for my network.

That's why there is such low security issues.

gino at linux.ca