[cups.general] [gentoo-user] No print output.

spencer infotechsys at pivot.net
Thu Nov 25 03:19:44 PST 2004

Hello,
I'm using gentoo for my distro.
I just emerge CUPS. When I ran some test
from the command line I get mix results.
If  I run "cat test.txt > /dev/lp0" the file prints,
but if I run "lp test.txt" the printer starts-up
and the paper goes thru my printer but nothing
is printed on the page.When I try the browser
route, "http://localhost:631, I see my printer
is recognize, but when I try to run the test page,
the light blinks on my HP LaserJet-1100 printer
but nothing prints. I went to linkprint.org for
my ppd module.When I do lsmod I see all the
modules for the print function that I did a modprobe
on.Here is the only line in my error_log that has an E,
E [24/Nov/2004:10:00:35 +0000] StartListening: Unable to find IP address
for server name "tux" - Unknown host
Does anyone know what config file it's going to for this info?
Do I need an IP address if I enter commands from the command line?
Thnks.
Wayne

My print is a HP LaserJet 1100 on a parellel port.