[cups.general] Help needed . Bannerpage configuartion

Peter Kobe kobe at physik.uni-bonn.de
Thu Nov 25 06:44:48 PST 2004

We use a Xerox Phaser8400 3 Trays for Color-priting
I Dektop-configurated Tray 2 Tranceparency and Tray 3 Paper
I setup 2 Cups-Queues to the phaser:
phaser_p selecting the Paper Tray
phaser_t selecting the Transparency Tray
I want to intall a Bannerpage giving the senders Name
No matter what Queue the user selects, I want to have Paper for the
Bannerpage.
I found in my archives 2 mails concernig this problem.
H Bliscke writes on 23-10-03

Subject: [cups.general] Re: banner pages using different media/trays fro rest

of the job?
Edit the banner files in the banners directory (usually in
/usr/share/bupd/banners) - insert
after the "%%EndProlog" line something like the following:

---snip---
%%BeginSetup
<</PageSize[595 842]
  % add more items as requested, e.g. /MediaType (Plain) - query the PPD
of your
  % printer for what it supports
>>setpagedevice
%%EndSetup
---snip--

and St. Graf writes on 27-10-03 a bit more explicitly:
E.G.a banner page for an HP-LaserJet 4000:
%!

[{
%%BeginFeature:
<<
     /DeferredMediaSelection true
     /MediaType null
     /ManualFeed false
     /MediaPosition 3
     /Colate false
     /ImagingBBox null
     /PageSize [595 842]
     /TraySwitch false
     /Duplex false
 >> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature
} stopped cleartomark

%... here follows the banner-drawings....

--------------------------
Trying eiher of these gives me trouble. The pinter remembers the the last Tray

used ?
Example:
1. Print to phaser_p makes the printer to ask for paper in tray 3. (there is
paper in) but printer somehow believes not. opening and shutting  the tray
makes the printer happy
2. next print to the same queue printer_p works correctly until ...
3. Print to the other queue (phaser_t) reaches the printer. The printer asks
to put
transparency into Tray 3. Again opening and closing the tray makes the printer

happy
4. Subsequent printjobs to phaser_t run as wanted until... go to Point 1
So a switch from one queue to the other makes the printer thinking its the
wrong MediaType in the paper tray .
The ouput of printed Data is alway to the wanted Tray

Any hints?

Peter
--
Dr. Peter Kobe				Tel: (49) 0228 73 6358

Physikalisches Institut			Fax: (49) 0228 73 3220
Universitaet Bonn

Nussallee 12			      eMail: kobe at physik.uni-bonn.de
D53115 Bonn