Postscript files being printed as text

sunset dtimmsitbigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 25 14:37:31 PST 2004

I have recently changed from FedoraCore2 to FC3, and am having an issue where the print jobs are being delayed before printing, and then ps text is printed rather than the drawing.

version:

cups-1.1.20-6 (FC2)

cups-1.2.22-0.rc1.8 (FC3)

The clients are using the driver (winXP) that they always had, and are printing to a samba queue which passes it on to cups.

We have had trouble with a colour xerox printer (ip direct), and with an A0 OCE plotter.

Eg 1: three copies of single page full colour document
result pages-
1. document OK

2. document OK
3. document OK
4. blank page OOPS
5. blank page OOPS
6. blank page OOPS
7. page with text message: see below OOPS
8. page with text message: see below OOPS
9. page with text message: see below OOPS

message:
=======
ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:  userdict

STACK:
=======

Settings haven't been changed at the client PCs (winXP), nor has the printer config changed, so it seems to be a difference between default configurations of the CUPS / printing installs.

How can I diagnose what is happening, or what else to check ?