[cups.general] configuring as400

mark mark at menem.mine.nu
Fri Nov 26 00:26:48 PST 2004

angel bosch wrote:

> the only problem is that every job takes too much time to print. i've
> found some messages talking about slow cups printing in general, but
> nothing about cups + cups-lpd, so im not sure if this is a problem with
> lpd itself or a wide problem with cups.
>
> any (other) hints?

Hi,

I've got a AS400 printing to my CUPS-LPD and use named queues to
differentiate between multiple printers.

Setup is sweet, for instance one printer prints to a virtual PDF
printer. So AS400 is now able to create PDF files. Great for archiving.

This is used widely throughout the building now, and saves A LOT of
paper. And hassle to search for the right reports between all the
printouts. Just a thought. May make you look good at your site.

As far as speed is concerned. The actual AS400 is placed on the
other side of the ocean compared to my CUPS-server.

A lag of about one minute is seen as fast by me. (AS400 collects all
the data, makes a report, sends it over the ocean, CUPS-LPD has to
receive and hand it over to the actual CUPS server, CUPS then
transforms the PS file for the intended printer and then sends it to
the actual printer. Printer perhaps does some more processing,
perhaps wants to wait until it gets the full file. All in all, one
to three minutes is quite acceptable by me...)

So what is slow for you?