[cups.general] configuring as400

angel bosch abo at brujulatelecom.com
Fri Nov 26 00:55:05 PST 2004

El dv 26 de 11 del 2004 a les 09:26 +0100, en/na mark va escriure:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a AS400 printing to my CUPS-LPD and use named queues to
> differentiate between multiple printers.
>
> Setup is sweet, for instance one printer prints to a virtual PDF
> printer. So AS400 is now able to create PDF files. Great for archiving.
>
> This is used widely throughout the building now, and saves A LOT of
> paper. And hassle to search for the right reports between all the
> printouts. Just a thought. May make you look good at your site.

in my company the as400 is used for billing, so we need to print lot of
thing for clients and so.

> As far as speed is concerned. The actual AS400 is placed on the
> other side of the ocean compared to my CUPS-server.
>
> A lag of about one minute is seen as fast by me. (AS400 collects all
> the data, makes a report, sends it over the ocean, CUPS-LPD has to
> receive and hand it over to the actual CUPS server, CUPS then
> transforms the PS file for the intended printer and then sends it to
> the actual printer. Printer perhaps does some more processing,
> perhaps wants to wait until it gets the full file. All in all, one
> to three minutes is quite acceptable by me...)
>
> So what is slow for you?

as i said before we print bills, so the speed isn't a wish but a must.
when you have a client waiting in front of you a minute of doing-nothing
is just inacceptable.

regards

--
àngel bosch