[cups.general] configuring as400

mark mark at menem.mine.nu
Fri Nov 26 03:56:53 PST 2004

angel bosch wrote:

>>So what is slow for you?
>>

> as i said before we print bills, so the speed isn't a wish but a must.
> when you have a client waiting in front of you a minute of doing-nothing
> is just inacceptable.
>
> regards

You guys use a AS400 Mainframe as a POS (Point Of Sale)???
Man, talk about overkill.

I would think it wiser, to install an XML application on the
computers, and that all the intermediate data would be stored inside
Mysql.

And that the Mysql database, via an EDI(Electronic Data Interface),
would "talk" with the AS400 system.

I mean AS400 is more an ERP system than it is a POS.

In short I would reconsider using a fullblown ERP as a POS. There
are better systems for POS.

As far as your question is concerned, check the AS400 Manual in the
appendixes there is a section for Performance Tuning, and make sure
the server running CUPS is a fast one. Also do traceroutes to figure
if a gateway is slowing things down, or other things.

Another way of telling where bottlenecks are is installing Nagios
(Nagios.org) and use the pinging feature to see which systems are
slow in reacting. (You can do it without Nagios ofcourse, but with
it you got a nice monitoring system with it. ;-)

Later,
Mark