Printer initialisation problem with Epson C61 on USB

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Nov 26 17:47:02 PST 2004

Hi,

My setup:
I've got an Epson C61 connected via USB. I'm running on FreeBSD (same problem on 4.x & 5.x). I'm currently using CUPS v1.1.22, though the problem has occurred on all versions I've used in the past.
I'm using the GIMP-Print drivers (Gimp-Print v4.2.6).
The ppd NickName is "EPSON Stylus C61 - CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.6"
Both CUPS & GIMP-Print are installed from the FreeBSD ports collection with no special options.
I print from KDE apps , openoffice & firefox, they all same t do the same thing.

My problem:
CUPS prints quite happily, but nearly always the first time I print to it, it prints garbage. I have to stop CUPS, clear the print queue, reset the printer & restart CUPS (sometimes several times) before it will print correctly. Once it's right, it stays that way until I switch my computer off.
I've tried starting the computer with the printer on & with it off but either way I have this problem.

I assume that CUPS is somehow initialising the printer incorrectly - perhaps sending some spurious garbage to it when CUPS starts.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have any suggestion for fixing it?

Cheers,

Ian