[cups.general] Printing size too large

Robert Krueger racsw at frontiernet.net
Sun Nov 28 07:10:05 PST 2004

Hello,
    This problem occurs for us regardless of
which printer is selected, either an Epson Stylus Colr C82 or a HP
LaserJet 1200 SE.
I'm using SuSe Linux 9.0, and CUPS 1.1.
We run a business, and as such, ship a lot of packages out.  We access
the UPS site daily, run "Create A Shipment", which in the end, creates a
UPS label ready to attach to the box.  My wife runs Windows XP, and she
usually prints these labels out, but a lot of the time, I do it on my
system.	I noticed that my labels are always larger than hers printed to
the same printers, and as such, do not fit the packages correctly.  I
get the same image sizes regardless of which printer I select.  I need
to fix this so that both of us are printing out the same size label,
assuming that hers is the correct size.
    This is not just a UPS issue, however.  I have had this same problem
on all things I've printed.   Whatever it is, it always seems to be just
slightly larger than the 8-1/2 x 11 paper it's printed on, causing in
most cases to finish printing on a second sheet.   My wife's XP, or my
switching to Win 98 on mine, prints a smaller page that prints nicely on
a single sheet, not overlapping to a second page.
    By far the most irritating problem is that it also doesn't break the
page correctly, oftentimes cutting an image in half, or in some strange
place, and I always lose a line or two of text for some reason, even
though it continues on to the second page.  This also happens when
printing the UPS documentation for the customer, often requiring us to
reprint the information in XP instead.
    Can someone help us out on this?  I've been to Linuxprinting.org
twice for this, and both times I've received no responses.  I'd be happy
to work with someone in trying to sort this out, if soemone has the time.
    I have also used both Mozilla and Firefox to see if it's a browser
issue, but it makes no difference  It also happens on regular text
files, be it in Kate, or Adobe Acrobat using pdf.

Thanks,
Robert Krueger