[cups.general] Printing size too large

Robert Krueger racsw at frontiernet.net
Mon Nov 29 06:14:56 PST 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Robert Krueger wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>    This problem occurs for us regardless of
>>which printer is selected, either an Epson Stylus Colr C82 or a HP
>>LaserJet 1200 SE.
>>I'm using SuSe Linux 9.0, and CUPS 1.1.
>>We run a business, and as such, ship a lot of packages out.  We access
>>the UPS site daily, run "Create A Shipment", which in the end, creates a
>>UPS label ready to attach to the box.  My wife runs Windows XP, and she
>>usually prints these labels out, but a lot of the time, I do it on my
>>system. I noticed that my labels are always larger than hers printed to
>>the same printers, and as such, do not fit the packages correctly.  I
>>get the same image sizes regardless of which printer I select.  I need
>>to fix this so that both of us are printing out the same size label,
>>assuming that hers is the correct size.
>>    This is not just a UPS issue, however.  I have had this same problem
>>on all things I've printed.   Whatever it is, it always seems to be just
>>slightly larger than the 8-1/2 x 11 paper it's printed on, causing in
>>most cases to finish printing on a second sheet.   My wife's XP, or my
>>switching to Win 98 on mine, prints a smaller page that prints nicely on
>>a single sheet, not overlapping to a second page.
>>    By far the most irritating problem is that it also doesn't break the
>>page correctly, oftentimes cutting an image in half, or in some strange
>>place, and I always lose a line or two of text for some reason, even
>>though it continues on to the second page.  This also happens when
>>printing the UPS documentation for the customer, often requiring us to
>>reprint the information in XP instead.
>>    Can someone help us out on this?  I've been to Linuxprinting.org
>>twice for this, and both times I've received no responses.  I'd be happy
>>to work with someone in trying to sort this out, if soemone has the time.
>>    I have also used both Mozilla and Firefox to see if it's a browser
>>issue, but it makes no difference  It also happens on regular text
>>files, be it in Kate, or Adobe Acrobat using pdf.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Robert Krueger
>

> Please tell more about your configuration - how are your printers
> connected, what
> PPD do you use, etc.
>
> Helge

My wife's computer with XP is only connected via the USB port into the
LaserJet, she has no connection to the Epson C82.   The LaserJet is the
one we use for all the business chores, including the label printing and
customer receipts.  My SuSe 9.0 system is also connected to the LaserJet
via the parallel port, so both ports are being used on the LaserJet.
   If I understand your PPD question, The Epson uses the Foomatic/Gimp
Print drivers, the LaserJet 1200 uses Foomatic/Postscript.
   Yesterday, from the command line (I used to use http://localhost:631/
but I forgot the password and can't access it anymore) I found that my
system was using the A4 PageSize instead of letter, so I changed it to
Letter.   Now it doesn't run off the end of the paper anymore, but it
cuts things off, like images, instead fo formfeeding to the next page.
For example, if I print a page of text that includes an image, and the
image just happens to be close to the end of the page, the software will
print the first portion of the image on the first page, and the rest of
the image plus any remaining text on the second page.  My wife's XP will
page break at the beginning of the image, so that it prints the entire,
uncut image on the second page.
    I've enclosed the last part of the LaserJet PPD file below, if it helps.

PageSize/Page Size: A4 *Letter 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5
EnvMonarch Executive Legal
PageRegion/PageRegion: A4 Letter 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL
EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive Legal
Resolution/Resolution: *default 150x150dpi 300x300dpi 600x600dpi
1200x1200dpi
Economode/Toner Saving: *Off On
PreFilter/GhostScript pre-filtering: EmbedFonts Level1 Level2 *No
MemBoost/Memory Booster Technology: *Auto Off On

BTW, can you tell me how to fix that password problem with
http://localhost:631/ ?  That was excellent for installing printers.

Thanks,
Robert