Shell scripts as filters with CUPS

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Nov 29 13:35:05 PST 2004

kent.snook at echostar.com wrote:
> I need to use shell scripts as filters with CUPS. How can I do so?

Add the "#!/bin/sh" (or whatever shell you use) to the top of the
file and make them executable.  If they are standalone interface
scripts that were used for System V LP'ing, use lpadmin to install
the script on a printer.  If they are general purpose filters, copy
to the filter directory (typically /usr/lib/cups/filter or
/usr/libexec/cups/filter) and then reference in a /etc/cups/*.convs
file or a PPD file for a queue.