[cups.general] Printing size too large

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue Nov 30 05:05:18 PST 2004

Robert Krueger wrote:

> Helge Blischke wrote:
> > Robert Krueger wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>    This problem occurs for us regardless of
> >>which printer is selected, either an Epson Stylus Colr C82 or a HP
> >>LaserJet 1200 SE.
> >>I'm using SuSe Linux 9.0, and CUPS 1.1.
> >>We run a business, and as such, ship a lot of packages out.  We access
> [...]
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Robert Krueger
> >

> > Please tell more about your configuration - how are your printers
> > connected, what
> > PPD do you use, etc.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> My wife's computer with XP is only connected via the USB port into the
> LaserJet, she has no connection to the Epson C82.   The LaserJet is the
> one we use for all the business chores, including the label printing and
> customer receipts.  My SuSe 9.0 system is also connected to the LaserJet
> via the parallel port, so both ports are being used on the LaserJet.
>    If I understand your PPD question, The Epson uses the Foomatic/Gimp
> Print drivers, the LaserJet 1200 uses Foomatic/Postscript.
>    Yesterday, from the command line (I used to use http://localhost:631/
> but I forgot the password and can't access it anymore) I found that my
> system was using the A4 PageSize instead of letter, so I changed it to
> Letter.   Now it doesn't run off the end of the paper anymore, but it
> cuts things off, like images, instead fo formfeeding to the next page.
> For example, if I print a page of text that includes an image, and the
> image just happens to be close to the end of the page, the software will
> print the first portion of the image on the first page, and the rest of
> the image plus any remaining text on the second page.  My wife's XP will
> page break at the beginning of the image, so that it prints the entire,
> uncut image on the second page.
>     I've enclosed the last part of the LaserJet PPD file below, if it helps.
>
> PageSize/Page Size: A4 *Letter 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5
> EnvMonarch Executive Legal
> PageRegion/PageRegion: A4 Letter 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL
> EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive Legal
> Resolution/Resolution: *default 150x150dpi 300x300dpi 600x600dpi
> 1200x1200dpi
> Economode/Toner Saving: *Off On
> PreFilter/GhostScript pre-filtering: EmbedFonts Level1 Level2 *No
> MemBoost/Memory Booster Technology: *Auto Off On
>
> BTW, can you tell me how to fix that password problem with
> http://localhost:631/ ?  That was excellent for installing printers.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

The lines above surely are not part of a PPD conforming to the Adobe
standard what is what CUPS expects.

But obviously you use different driver software for your different
printers,
which may well lead do deviations in the real page size. Please give
some more
information about your Linux driven printer - perhaps it is possible to
adjust
it so you get the same (or at least nearly the same) effective page
size.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke