[cups.general] renderer command

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 07:16:52 PST 2004

I have done some slight modifications on Foomatic now (in the Foomatic
CVS on linuxprinting.org, both stable and unstable branches), that PPD
files with blank *FoomaticRIPCommandLine cannot be generated any more.
In this case now an error is issued and so frontends like the KDE
Printing Manager should give an error message instead of creating a
broken print queue.

The blank *FoomaticRIPCommandLine was caused by a driver entry in the
Foomatic database with an empty renderer command line prototype. This
means that the driver entry has no driver execution information. In most
cases the driver has several different GhostScript device names and the
execution information resides in the Foomatic entry with another name.
In the case of Gimp-Print there is no execution info as the execution
ifo is supplied with the driver package. See the text of the driver
entry in such cases (AFAIR the KDE Printing Manager has a button to
display it).

    Till