IPP Message file parsing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Nov 6 03:39:34 PST 2004

Jerome Alet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just written an IPP message parser (RFC 2565) which seems to
> mostly work.

Actually, you want to use 2910/11 and collections defined in 3382.

2565 is obsolete.

> Now I'd want to, from a CUPS backend, access to the IPP message files
> which are usually in the /var/spool/cups directory
>
> But, CUPS doesn't make the exact file name available to backends,
> perhaps expecting that all backends which want to dialog with CUPS
> will use the CUPS API, which of course is not the case...

That is a supported way of doing it; if you want to bypass CUPS, you
are free to do so, it just isn't supported and may not work in
future releases since we reserve the right to change how the spool
directory works at any time.  You aren't using a public interface.

> So my question is :
>
> Can I assume that the filename will always be of the form :
>
> c00000

No, you can't.  Right now, that is the case.  Future versions of
CUPS may change the organization.

> or is this a configurable setting (especially in the case you want to
> keep more than 100000 jobs) ?

Currently it is "c" + a minimum of 5 digits; if the job ID is <
5 digits long, it is 0-filled.