Can CUPS print to a Windows Print Server witho ut samba?

Guenther Frick gfrick at chemie.fu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 1 08:21:04 PDT 2004

v.sudeep wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was trying to do the other way around. Is it possible to print to a
> Windows Server from a linux CUPS printer. And that is without using Samba.
>
> The documentation states that its possible to do it using LPD protocol. I
> seem to be having trouble getting this up. The error log states...."Remote
> host did not accept control file (32)".
>
> Any clue what could be wrong ?
>
> Regards,
> Sudeep V

This MS KB article described printing via IPP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323428

Since MS uses IPP v1.0 instead of v1.1 it would only be possible to print from CUPS with an older IPP backend. And since MS uses non-standard authentication methods authentication is only ip address based possible.

An easier way is to use LPD. This procedure is described here:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/heretrythis/hp3100/