%%IncludeFeature

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sat Oct 2 14:52:51 PDT 2004

> That said, the current release of CUPS supports %cupsJobTicket
> comments at the beginning of a PS file, e.g.:
>
>      %!PS-Adobe-3.0
>      %cupsJobTicket: option=value
>      etc.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that you can use the generic
> options instead of something specific to a particular printer...

Ok, but that was the intended advantage of PPD in the first place.
The example I used earlier, %%IncludeFeature: *Duplex DuplexNoTumble
uses exactly the standard keyword and options from the PPD spec; it's
the PPD's job to specify how that gets translated into something specific
to the printer.  The question is, what's more generic, PPD standard or
CUPS?  If I'm creating a file, is the file more portable/generic if it
says %%IncludeFeature: *Duplex DuplexNoTumble or if it says
%%cupsJobTicket: sides=two-sided-long-edge ?

The first should work with any standard-conforming document manager from
the last decade or so; the second works with CUPS.

-Chap