[cups.general] More banner questions

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Oct 3 09:44:37 PDT 2004

John C. Welch wrote:

> There seems to be a way to specify non-standard banners in printers.conf
> settings? So if I'm reading this right, I could create a login script that
> dumped user info into a text file that would be the banner page for the
> printer.

Yes you can. But not in printers.conf, if you want to have it different
for each user.

Rather put a line like "job-sheets=none,joe-doe-banner.txt" into each
joe doe's §HOME/.lpoptions file.

Then for each different joe-doe-banner.txt create that file into dir
/user/share/cups/banners/. cupsd on startup will read that directory
and learn which banners could be used. Note that the banners could be
*any printable file* which is accepted by CUPS on your system: PostScript,
PDF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, HP/GL....or ASCII (which is what we use
here).

You should just use the same name for the banners (one name for each
user) so that cupsd has registered that banner's name when starting
up. It doesnt matter if you modify the actual banner file in between
printjobs.

> If I'm correct here, are there any pointers on the syntax for this?

See my previous mail.

> john

Cheers,
Kurt