Problem with LogLevel and messages in error_log

Laurent blin at enssat.fr
Fri Oct 15 02:40:28 PDT 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Laurent wrote:
> >
> > I'm having problems with the messages [...] in the error_log file,
> > and the tuning of LogLevel [...]
> > Once I change LogLevel, I don't get all the messages I should
> > according to the LogLevel policy.
>
> Hmm, I digged around a while ...
> Well, INFO messages get to the printer state message (shown in the web
> interface or by the
> lpstat command) unless the job status denotes some error condition. Try
> the prefix
> 'NOTICE:' instead.
>
> Helge

This works.
In fact, I hadn't thought about cross-testing all the possible combinations.
I looked for the possible prefixes (in some source file), and tried them
with the different LogLevel values.
These are the prefixes I can get for each level:

debug2 -> DEBUG: INFO: NOTICE: WARN: ERROR: CRIT: ALERT: EMERG: NONE:
debug  -> DEBUG: NOTICE: WARN: ERROR: CRIT: ALERT: EMERG: NONE:
info   -> NOTICE: ERROR: CRIT: ALERT: EMERG:
warn   -> ERROR: CRIT: ALERT: EMERG:
error  -> ERROR: CRIT: ALERT: EMERG:
none   -> nothing.

Thanks for the help.