Problems with name lookups for host-based access control

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Oct 28 09:04:48 PDT 2004

Roger Leigh wrote:
> Could cupsd be taught to do name lookups the other way (IIRC
> gethostbyname() should do it)?

This is actually a "feature" for systems that don't use DNS or
other name resolution stuff, and for environments where the hostname
doesn't match the reverse lookup name.

Basically, reverse lookups don't always work, so we check if the
client address is the same as the one we got from a lookup of the
server name and use the server name if that is the case.  We also
special-case 127.0.0.1 (localhost), since that is a common
configuration problem too.

It would be trivial to add an option to disable this special
handling; feel free to submit a feature request for this at:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php