[cups.general] How to restrict the print access ?

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Oct 12 11:05:55 PDT 2004

Tomas Davidek wrote:

> Hello,
>   I want to restrict the print access on my Linux box so that  only some
> few other machines can print using my CUPS.

[....]

> <Location /printers>
> Deny From All
> Allow 127.0.0.1
> Allow 195.113.22.140
> </Location>

That setting is correct. It should allow only localhost and
195.113.22.140 to print.

Have you restarted cupsd after changing the setting?

> but I still can print from another machine.

Note that you should also disable cups-lpd (see man cups-lpd)
in case you have it enabled. (Because cups-lpd doesnt honor
the settings of cupsd. It takes all jobs [may be restricted
through "/etc/hosts.allow|deny"] and then submits them to
cupsd from as a localhost user.

> How do I restrict the access
> ?? I am using cupsys  version 1.1.20final+rc....

See above.

> Thanks a lot for any hint,
>           best regards
>                                 Tomas Davidek