[cups.general] Printing to a win98 printer with password

Ignacio Fernández Galván jellby at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 04:16:27 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Until last week, I was happily using a password-protected win98 printer
from Mandrake 10 with cups (1.1.20). Now, after a cups security update
(I'm not sure it's directly related), I cannot.

I can connect to the print server with smbclient and manually print
from there, I can also use cups if I remove the password in win98, but
I can't get cups to print when there's a password. I always get the
following error in /var/log/cups/error_log :

E [25/Oct/2004:16:34:20 +0200] [Job 466] Connection failed with error
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

... and all I can say is I have checked, changed and re-checked the
password (which is all ASCII). Besides, using smbspool with exactly the
same DeviceURI specified in printers.conf prints fine, with or without
passwords. Only when printing through cups (test pages, from
kdeprint...) there is this annoying error.

Any hints on what's happening? Can I solve this?

Thanks in advance