Job forewarding with no processing

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Oct 27 17:52:32 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:

> I work at a Print Center at a university and am interested in setting up a
> CUPS server to accept jobs and hold them for routing to one of several
> large network printers (Xerox DocuTech 6135) or some other printer.  The
> problem that I am encountering is that CUPS wants to change the files more
> often than I would like.  The jobs that are printed to the server are
> PostScript jobs, but they have an XML header, so CUPS wants to interpert
> them as text files.  Even without the header (a conforming PostScript
> file), I am having some errors with files that I normally have no problems
> with.

I am not sure if I really do get what you want....

If it is that CUPS shouldnt touch these files at all, then you may want
to set up a "raw" queue: that is, a printer with no PPD associated. (You
may need to comment out the last lines of the /etc/cups/mime.* files too,
which are referring to "application/octet-stream").

> Can anyone suggest a configuration which would ensure minimal interference
> with the files.  {I have tried adding the XML files to the MIME type files
> and have them process as raw, but can't seem to get that to work)

Why not?

First, add a mime type definition in "mime.types":

 application/vnd.ps-with-xml-header    contains(0,1024,"<xml>") contains(0,1024,"<XML>")

This assumes that amongst the first 1024 characters of the file there
is contained either "<xml>" or "<XML>". Of course you can make up a
more precise definition since you know the files you are dealing with
better than I do.

Second, add a conversion rule" in "mime.convs":

  application/vnd.ps-with-xml-header  application/vnd.cups-raw   0   -

This "converts" youre "vnd.ps-with-xml-header" into a "vnd.cups-raw"
file by doing nothing at all (the "-" is the CUPS "nullfilter). This
should ensure your special XML-headed files go directly to the printer
(if that is what you want). Note, that here you dont need to set up a
special raw queue. It is just that the xml-headed PS files are treated
as "raw".

> I am running CUPS 1.1.15.61 on SUSE Enterprise Server 8 (2.4.19).
>
> Thanks in advance!  CUPS is a wonderful product and KDEPrint is just what
> we are looking for to handle our job redirecting.

;-)

> Drew Johnson

Cheers,
Kurt