[cups.general] Re: Its just not working?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Oct 20 07:12:58 PDT 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
> >
> > Michael Sweet wrote:

> > > Actually, it should be setuid to the "lp" user (or whatever user is
> > > configured in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf).  We got rid of the setuid root
> > > requirement a long time ago.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
> > > Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com
> >
> > Hm, now if i try to run lppasswd with root i get:
> >
> > lppasswd: user "root" and group "sys" do not exist.
> >
> > group and user are in /etc/passwd /etc/group ?
> >
> > >....setuid to the "lp" user (or whatever user is
> > > configured in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf)....
> >
> > please tell me which parameter i should change in the config. ive got some hits on the word user.....
>
> In your cupsd.conf, look at the directives
> 	User
> and
> 	Group
> The user set there must be a member of the specified group, and
> your lppasswd program should be setuid to that user.
>
> Helge
>
> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
> SRZ Berlin | Firmengruppe besscom
> http://www.srz.de
> tel: +49 30 75301-360

ive added nobody to the group user and removed the # before user and group.
now lppasswd errors with:
lppasswd: Unable to open passwd file: Permission denied

ive touched /usr/etc/cups/passswd.md5 and changed permissions to user nobody and after that doesnt worked to 777. its doing many things, but its not printing.