Landscape printing with cupsPrintFile()

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Oct 29 05:40:29 PDT 2004

CharlieB wrote:

> Helge Blischke wrote:
> > CharlieB wrote:
> > >

> > > I know about the option structure. I am looking for the name of the option and its value to print in landscape format. I was thinking these would be standard strings. Something like name = "orientation" and value = "landscape" or "portrait"?
> >
> > The option is simply "landscape", but "landscape=yes" should also
> > be accepted.
> >
> > Don't play with the orientation. There is a discussion going on on
> > the semantics of the orientation - the PPD spec states that orientation
> > refers to the media feeding direction, in contrast to the common
> > interpretation of the logical page to the physical page.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> Thanks for the help Helde. I found out later I am more confused on this than I thought. I previewed the PostScript file I made in Ghostview using the %%Orientation: landscape comment and it shows the page on it's side. However I just realized that the text is on it's side also, still in portrait format. I am looking into PostScript commands to rotate the text. Hopefully this will be easy to do.
>
> Thanks again.

Don't take Ghostscript's handling of the %%Orientation comment for
truth. At least the
7.xx versions of gs behave somewhat strange on this.
What - as far as the devices I have access to are concerned, including
gs - works is
to force landscape orientation by exchanging the media dimensions, i.e.
making
the media width greater than the media height.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung