[cups.general] What will CUPS do if I send A4 to a Letter printer.

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Oct 28 05:55:02 PDT 2004

clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> The Subject line says it all.
> What SHOULD happen if I use lpr to send a document that will
> want A4 paper to a printer whose PPD file says it only does
> Letter?
>
> Should I get an error message at the time of the LPR?
> Later?
> How?
>
> Or will the print job just sit in the print queue forever?
>
> Or print as best it can?

In case of a PostScript printer (a native one), you should configure the
printer
(the easiest way is to use the "configure printer" button on the web
interface).
The printer(s) should support
a) center and/or scale down the logical page to fit onto the physical
page
b) center and/or crop the logical page to the physical page
c) do nothing special
e) ask for operator interaction.
All this can be configured by PostScript code (or, on some printers, by
job control
language statements) and should be offered by the printer's PPD.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung