cupsd cpu use

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Mon Oct 11 13:12:23 PDT 2004

Hi all.

I have a few simple questions I'd like to ask.

Is it normal for the cupsd daemon to continually use CPU time? If not, then what is it doing?

poohbear:./poohb> ps -ef|grep -i cups
    root 1306878       1  23   Sep 30      - 868:48 /opt/TWWfsw/cups1120/sbin/cupsd -c /etc/opt/TWWfsw/cups1120/cupsd.conf

If you noticed, the process has taken up 868 minutes of CPU time for 12 days. Thats roughly 14.5 hours of processing time. I know our system do
a good amount of printing but I think that's a bit too excessive.

Has anyone seen the same?

The problem appears in all AIX and Solaris clients. I'm running 1.1.20.1 version of CUPS.

Thanks!
angel