%%IncludeFeature

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Oct 2 14:20:13 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before deciding if I want to set up CUPS, I have a question I've been
> trying to answer by looking at the docs but I haven't stumbled on the
> answer.
>
> CUPS obviously knows how to interpret PPD files, determine the
> available printer features, recognize those features by name as
> command options, and emit the corresponding code defined in the PPD.
> That's exactly the infrastructure that would be needed to support
> %%IncludeFeature in a postscript input file--but I haven't found
> anything in a CUPS document that actually says CUPS can do that.

Currently the CUPS pstops filter does not support any of the
%%Include* comments; we expect to add support in 1.2, however that
requires some special handling, e.g. you might include a feature
that is not supported by a printer or the feature might not be
compatible with the other job options/attributes.

That said, the current release of CUPS supports %cupsJobTicket
comments at the beginning of a PS file, e.g.:

     %!PS-Adobe-3.0
     %cupsJobTicket: option=value
     %cupsJobTicket: option=value
     %cupsJobTicket: option=value
     %%Pages: nn
     etc.

The advantage of this approach is that you can use the generic
options instead of something specific to a particular printer...