Multiuser linux to multiaccount samba printer

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Oct 13 02:13:10 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:
> Bernhard Ege wrote:
>
> > We would like to be able to print to a samba (windows) printer from
> > linux. Cups can do that, but apparently it is not able to use the
> > individual user/password for the samba printer depending on who is
> > printing.
>
> Correct.
>
> > We need the individual samba accounts to have accounting working.
> >
> > So, my question is: Will cups at some time be able to query the user for a password when printing to a samba printer?
>
> I dont think so.
>
> > Or will I have to switch to LPRng and redo my hack?
>
> No. But you could ponder this suggestion to work around it. It replaces the original "smbspool" backend by a script that uses "smbclient" to forward the printjob to the Windows printer share.

Well, your solution is simple but all our homedirs are located on nfs and we would prefer not to have our passwords being stored on disk in clear text. My solution does require the password to be entered every time the server is rebooted but is never stored on disk an never exposed in the process list (ps/top). However, as it uses smbspool, the password is located in the environment variable but that is preferable to storing it on disk. It can be downloaded at http://www.miba.auc.dk/~bme/software/binaries/unix/cupspwdb/index.html

Thank you for your suggestion, though. :-)

Bernhard