turn on / start printing automatically

n0td1scl0s3d at hotmail.com n0td1scl0s3d at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 05:19:23 PDT 2004

Can I get CUPS to start printing after a printer has been turned on?

The problem is my print server (linux box) and printer (lj 1300) are
not always turned on together*.  If the printer is not turned on at
boot or is turned off for a length of time CUPS ignores it when it is
turned on.  CUPS continues to queue jobs but doesn't print them.

Is there a simple way to get CUPS to start printing as soon as the
printer is turned on? I don't want to allow / let the users to tinker
with CUPS in anyway, I would like it to be automatic.

Thanks,

SA

*- Since first installing CUPS a couple of years ago with RH8 my printer
has crashed approx 2/3 of the time at boot when CUPS starts - it also
crashes approx. 1 in 30 days.  The only fix is to power cycle the printer.
This never, ever happened with lpd prior to CUPS.  This may, of course,
be a USB bus issue.  Typical symptom is startup stalls at CUPS then I get this console message "kernel: usb 2-2: control timeout on ep0in" and the printer dies.