[cups.general] GPL GhostScript 8.15

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Fri Oct 22 08:35:47 PDT 2004

That's a good idea doing the GhostScript update in a joint effort Linux
distributions and developers of printing-related free software.

But we should do it different as it was done before, as we must make
further updates of the GPL GhostScript as easy as possible. So all
changes of the original GhostScript, as adding the "cups" device, adding
other devices (built-in printer drivers), bug fixes introduced by the
ESP GhostScript developers, ... must be well documented, better even
located in extra directories in the CVS tree, as patches, or even as
code modules which are picked up by the configure/make process and
automatically added to the core GhostScript code. So new GPL GhostScript
releases only need to be "dropped in" and we are up-to-date again with
ESP GhostScript.

Also all distro-specific extensions should go in (and if they are
Linux-specific, compilation should be automatically deactivated if
configure discovers if we are on non-Linux). Patching by distribution
vendors should be eliminated or at least reduced to a minimum.

WDYT?

    Till