adding printer not possible

plfriko at yahoo.de plfriko at yahoo.de
Sun Oct 31 03:36:56 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to install my HP printer with cups on my sarge box. As
mentioned in the documentation I use the command '/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p
LaserJet6L -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m
 /usr/share/cups/model/HP-LaserJet_6L-hpijs.ppd' and get
the message:
"lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: "

The ppd file exists in the mentioned directory.

When I add a printer with the CUPS GUI (browser) I get the same message
"client-error-not-possible". The logfile /var/log/cups/error_log says:
"add_printer: bad device-uri attribute 'parallel:/dev/lp0'".

I'm also wondering that there is no CUPS device to choose in the browser while adding the printer. All I have is a AppSocket, http, ipp, lpd, some usb printers and Samba.

And ideas how to solve the problem?
Thanks.

Chris