Printing from Linux to an HP OfficeJet 5510 on Win XP Pro

Dave Walter davew at adventresources.com
Fri Oct 22 05:18:54 PDT 2004

I am trying to print to a HP OfficeJet 5510 from RedHat 9 or RedHat ES 3. My test system is running CUPS v1.1.17-13.3.0.3, foomatic v2.0.2-15.1 and Samba v2.2.7a-8.9.0 (all standard RedHat RPMs). I have downloaded the latest hpijs drivers (v 1.6.2), which has enabled me to print postscript files such as the CUPS testpage to the printer when I connect it locally via USB.

However, when I move the printer to a Windows XP Pro SP1 system, share it, and try to print the same postscript files to it through the network using either the smb or ipp backends, the print job appears to "hang". The Copy light on the printer starts to flash, and the printer sounds like it is initialising itself in preparation for printing, but nothing happens after that. The print job sticks in the Windows print spool and I have to manually delete it and reboot to clear the queue and resume printing from Windows. I have transferred the postscript files over to Windows and can print them locally using Ghostscript 8.14 and GSview 4.6 without any apparent problems. Also, by setting the CUPS LogLevel to debug2, it appears that the print job is completing normally on the Linux side.

I have connected an old Epson 740 Stylus Colour in the same manner and can print the same postscript files using either the smb or ipp backends without a problem.

Does anyone have any clues as to what the problem might be or how I can go about solving it?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Walter