[cups.general] Java and CUPS

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Oct 14 09:47:42 PDT 2004

Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> being quite new to CUPS I am in need to print from a software
> (Maple 9.5) which uses a GUI written in java.
> Although my cups server is running happily,
> and I can print via 'lpr' and can contact the
> CUPS' internal webserver,
> my software always claims 'no print service found'.
> How does such a java process find out which printers
> (print services) are defined? How does it (normally)
> contact the CUPS daemon?

Have you ever heard of "jipsi -- implementation of the Java Print
Service to communicate with cups over IPP"

   http://www.cups.org/links.php?V144
   http://www.lohndirekt.de/software/jipsi.html

? I havent played with it yet -- but then, I had no particular
motivation, not being a big user of Java programs anyway...

> This is on my Linux box (Linux From Scratch).
> I am very grateful for any hints.
>
> (The Maplesoft support hasn't been tremendously helpful)

;-)

> Helmut Jarausch

Cheers,
Kurt