No devices

David Schofield scho_scho_scho at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 16:00:46 PDT 2004

Having installed and configured (and re-installed and re-configured) CUPS (and foomatic, and gs, and...) a number of times, and played with all possible combinations of values in cupsd.conf, I'm at my wits end: using the web interface to add a printer always results in an empty dropdown for selecting a device.

I'm running RH 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8) on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC with a locally attached NEC SuperScript 870. Parallel port seems to be enabled correctly, and the printer correctly prints when doing (say) cat foo.ps > /dev/lp0

CUPS error_log shows no errors as such and definitely seems to be recognizing the various usb, serial, and parallel ports.

I've searched googled my heart out in search of an answer; a few posters seem to have had similar issues though their posts never seem to have been resolved, which leads me to believe I'm missing the bleeding obvious, and they were too embarassed to fess up once they found an answer.