I have trouble printing to "remote" server.

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Thu Oct 14 07:14:58 PDT 2004

I have two machines. The client runs Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. The
server runs Fedora Core 2.

I set up the server using the Fedora print configuration tool, and
everything on that machine seems to work. From the print configuration
tool, I can select "Test" and print the CUPS test pattern, the PostScript
test pattern, and the ASCII test. From the shell, I can print ASCII files
by doing lpr filename and, IIRC, I can print html pages from the Mozilla
browser.

But from the client, things are not so good. From the print configuration
tool (looks almost the same as the server's), I can also print all those
test patterns, but from the shell and other tools nothing normal works.

E.g., if I do the following, that is what I get:

# lpr brutab
lpr: error - no default destination available.

(Doesn't matter if I am root or not.)

Now if I do lpr -P lp brutab, it prints ASCII just fine. Similarly for
postscript files.

I do not understand how to set the default destination. When I was running
Red Hat Linux 7.3, I never had to do that. How do I set it?

I found some commands that supposedly would set it, but they do not work:

# /usr/bin/lpoptions -d lp
lpoptions: Unknown printer or class!

# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -d lp
lpadmin: set-default failed: server-error-service-unavailable

The daemon is clearly running as the ps command reveals:

root     32066     1  0 09:49 ?        00:00:00 cupsd

Is this a CUPS problem or something else? If something else, any
suggestions on getting this to work? It is so close!