I have trouble printing to "remote" server.

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Mon Oct 18 06:58:18 PDT 2004

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

>> I have two machines. The client runs Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. The
>> server runs Fedora Core 2.
>>
>> I set up the server using the Fedora print configuration tool, and
>> everything on that machine seems to work. From the print configuration
>>  tool, I can select "Test" and print the CUPS test pattern, the
>> PostScript test pattern, and the ASCII test. From the shell, I can
>> print ASCII files by doing lpr filename and, IIRC, I can print html
>> pages from the Mozilla browser.
>>
>> But from the client, things are not so good.
 >>
>> [snip]

> Is my server configured wrongly or is the client. In both cases, I used
> the printer configuration tool from Red Hat, and I am somewhat familiar
> with it as I got it to work when the server was running RHL 7.3 with no
> trouble.

I just gave up on Fedora Core 2 and installed Red Hat Linux 9 and after a
little fixing of /etc/lpd.perms, everything works fine. Soundboard now
works, xosview works correctly and does not crash, ...

I guess Fedora is just too bleeding edge.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.