[cups.general] vnd.cups-raster

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Oct 27 14:58:59 PDT 2004

David Harel wrote:

> When I define a new printer (using kprinter wizard) and select the
> printer module I get an error message:
> kprinter: WARNING: KFilterBase::findFilterByExtension : no filter found
> for text/plain

You should install one (or more) of "enscript", "mpage" or "a2ps" on
your system. (I prefer "a2ps").

KDE wants this, to pre-filter any plain text print inputs you might
load into kprinter, to convert them into PostScript. If you don't
have these, kprinter will work none-the-less. It will then send
the plain text directly to CUPS which will convert to PS then. (You
need to make sure to select "Keep" (not "Convert") if you are asked
by the kprinter popup dialog).

> Looking in the definition file resulted:
> /usr/share/cups/model/stcolor.ppd  I found a reference to:
> *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 rastertoepson"
>
> Using the find command I could not find the name vnd.cups-raster anywhere.
> Is it a file? an executable even? where should it reside? where can I
> get it from?

It is not a file name. It is a "MIME type" for CUPS. MIME types
CUPS can handle are defined in /etc/cups/mime.types.

> If it is not a file, then what is it. As it seems with strace the
> warning message is right after the read operation of the file
> /usr/share/cups/model/stcolor.ppd then what is this thing then?

It is referenced in the stcolor.ppd's "*cupsFilter" line to tell
cupsd, that it should call and run the "rastertoepson" filter on
this MIME tpye to produce the printer-ready format for the printer
associated with that PPD. The "vnd.cups-raster" is automagically
produced by CUPS (because of the directives in the "mime.convs"
file).

Cheers,
Kurt