[cups.bugs] cups 1.1.21 socket backend problem?

Hansjoerg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Tue Oct 19 23:13:27 PDT 2004

Hi

David Schlenk wrote:

> First, brief overview of my setup:
>
> 2 backend cups servers that actually send the jobs to printers
> 3 frontend cups servers, 2 of which serve out the load balanced
> backend queues via netatalk (two different subnets), and the other
> servers them out via samba.
>
> I upgraded to 1.1.21 a week ago or so and ever since have been
> experiencing a couple queues stop themselves because of a job that
> seems to get stuck in the queue. The printer becomes unavailable on
> port 9100, but I can still ping it from the print server.  The printer
> won't start printing again until I clear out the queue and restart the
> printer, and then cancel whatever job is stuck on the printer one last
> time (if you cancel it prior to clearing out the cups queue it keeps
> coming back). It seems like some kind of two way communication is
> breaking down, but I can't really tell from the logs what's going on.
> There doesn't seem to be any pattern to what kind of jobs stop it, but
> I believe once it was a word file and at least twice it was a PDF file.

we have seen the same problem on after a cups update to 1.1.21 on
solaris 8 and found no soltution until now...

Unfortunatly we did a  samba update to 3.0.7 at the same time to, so I
haven't been sure , if this is a cups or a samba problem.
Are you running the same samba version as before?

Thank you very much

Hansjörg

> Another note - when one of my backend cups servers goes down, it seems
> to also crash the frontend cups server that runs on the samba box.
> Anyone else experience this? Its been happening to me since at least
> 1.1.18. Kinda makes loadbalanced/failsafe rather useless...

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/

There are 10 types of people in this world,