CUPS NOT WORKING

paavan23 at rediffmail.com paavan23 at rediffmail.com
Sat Oct 30 01:21:09 PDT 2004

hi!!

Till thank you for your email.

Let me decribe you my problem in detail.

in our network we have three subnets 192.168.7.x and 192.168.8.x and 192.168.10.x.
192.168.7.5 is a linksys print server.and 192.168.7.9 is another server running mandrake 9.1 and i have configured CUPS on this server.

In our network we have windows 2000 and also some linux clients.
My primary goal is to allow any user from any subnet of my network to be able to print.
I have made following chages in my cupsd.conf

Severname mandrake #this is hostname of my 192.168.7.9 machine on which i want to configure CUPS printer queue.

Listen 192.168.7.9:631
BrowseAllow 192.168.7.*
and other trivial options like specifying the serverRoot,Error log path  etc...

i have not specified BrowsePoll and BrowseAddress ,Do i need to enable it?

i have added the printer using the follownig command:
#lpadmin -p SC04E5A9 -E -v socket://192.168.7.5:4020 -m hplaserjet.ppd

in our network we have HPLASER JET 1015 and the name of the printer is SC04E5A9.

the current status is that when i do netstat -l on 192.168.7.9 i receive follwing lines:
tcp        0      0 mandrake:ipp            *:*                     LISTEN

udp        0      0 *:ipp                   *:*

which clearly states that it is listening on 631 port.

currenly CUPS schedular and cupsd both are running properly but when i issue following command on 192.168.7.9 machine:
here test is the sample text file i have created.

#lp test
request id is SCO4E5A9-4 (1 file(s))

#lpq
[root at mandrake root]# lpq
SCO4E5A9 is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
active  remroot 4       test                            1024 bytes
I am issuing the above mentioned commands from the 192.168.7.9 machine itself.

but i the printer doesn't print anything.
there can be some problem regarding talking to the print server.
please tell me whether there are any setting missing or not.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
pavan.