holding jobs

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Oct 3 12:45:24 PDT 2004

p.mdriyaz at gmail.com wrote:

> But then some computers here run windows, and they are configured to
> access cups server. as no lpoptions exist .. how to get the jobs from the
> windows clients into the queue?

Unfortunately you dont tell us *how* your Win clients are accessing
the CUPS server.

* is it the MS IPP print client sending IPP print requests to cupsd?
* is it via the MS (or other) LPR/LPD print client sending jobs to the
  "cups-lpd" mini LPR/LPD server?
* is it by using the CUPS IPP client for WinNT/2K/XP?
* is it via Samba?

## -1- ##
---------
In case it is the first, I think you should try to put the "job-hold-until=
indefinite" into the "/etc/cups/lpoptions" file of the CUPS server. But
I dont know if this will work.

## -2- ##
---------
If it is the second: put the line (all in one line, the "\" leave out)

  printer stream tcp nowait lp /path/to/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd  \
          cups-lpd -o document-format=application/octet-stream         \
                   -o job-hold-until=indefinite

into your "/etc/inetd.conf". Should your system use "xinetd" then put
this block in "xinetd.conf":

  service printer
    {
       socket_type = stream
       protocol = tcp
       wait = no
       user = lp
       group = sys
       passenv =
       server = /path/to/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
       server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream -o job-hold-until=indefinite
    }

## -3- ##
---------
If you use the CUPS-IPP Client, you can specify the "job-hold-until" with
the latest driver (included), according to this website:

  http://www.cups.org/windows.php

(I didnt have time yet to test it.)

## -4- ##
---------
If you run Samba, there is a new feature now included in Samba-3.0.6
or later. You can now specify (on a per-printer share level, or in
the general [printers] section of smb.conf job options for CUPS
printing. Something like this line

  cups options = job-hold-until=indefinite

should do what you require. (But I havent tested this either very
thoroughly yet.)

Cheers,
Kurt