[cups.general] Re: User-Authentikation with ldap instead of lppasswd?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Sep 19 10:25:24 PDT 2004

Stefan-Michael. Günther (in-put GbR) wrote:
> Hm, to be honest, now I'm a little bit confused: Together with PAM it's
> possible, but this sounds to me as if it's not possible. (??)

LDAP-based password authentication via PAM, yes.  Groups through
PAM, no (since PAM is only an authentication framework), however
if you have setup things through nsswitch.conf and your NSS supports
it (for Linux, you need the libnss_ldap module), then you can get
LDAP groups, too.

CUPS just doesn't have a "native" LDAP user/group implementation
that bypasses the usual UNIX APIs is all...