[cups.general] ESP gs produces large PCL files

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Mon Sep 6 05:22:46 PDT 2004

Hi,

I own an HP LaserJet 1100 and upon a request concerning printing speed
in LinuxPrinting's hp.general newsgroup, I did some benchmarks
concerning the size of the PCL code generated by different drivers. I
put a modified excerpt of the text to that NG below. Thus, this is
somewhat of a crosspost, but I don't expect to get meaningful answers in
the LinuxPrinting group. Now my questions:

    Does anyone know why the Windows driver creates that much smaller
    code than the drivers that I tried?

And

    is there any way to make gs produce smaller PCL files at 600dpi?

BTW, I just played around with the IJS options, but - as I expected -
this didn't change the size to the better. There are some drivers that I
didn't benchmark, mostly because they seem to be optimized for high
quality printing, not file size or printing speed:

- stp
- hpijs-rss
- gimp-print

Felix

Benchmarks Text:
================

FWIW, I just created some PCL files using several drivers with
    ESP Ghostscript 7.05.6 (2003-02-05)
    hpijs 1.4.1
and one PCL file using the Windows 98SE driver
    HP LaserJet 1100 PCL 5e-Treiber Version 1.00.5.029

The document is overview.pdf which is part of CUPS 1.1.19 included in
Slackware Linux 9.1.

I called gs with the ijs driver as

    gs -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=hpijs -dIjsUseOutputFD \
       -sDeviceManufacturer="HEWLETT-PACKARD" \
       -sDeviceModel="HP LaserJet 1100" \
       -r600x600 -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sOutputFile=overview.ijs.pcl \
        overview.pdf -c quit

and with the standard drivers as (<driver> is to be replaced
accordingly)

    gs -sDEVICE=<driver> -r600x600 -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER \
       -sOutputFile=overview.<driver>.pcl overview.pdf -c quit

The printing in Windows was done with the following options selected:
"best graphics quality", 600dpi, "resolution enhancement".

The results:
> ls -lh *.pcl
-rw-r--r--    1 felix    users        4.7M Sep  6 12:58 overview.ijs.pcl
-rw-r--r--    1 felix    users        2.8M Sep  6 13:18 overview.lj4dith.pcl
-rw-r--r--    1 felix    users         14M Sep  6 13:16 overview.lj5gray.pcl
-rw-r--r--    1 felix    users        5.5M Sep  6 13:09 overview.lj5mono.pcl
-rw-r--r--    1 felix    users        1.7M Sep  6 12:59 overview.ljet4.pcl
-rw-r--r--    1 felix    users        551K Sep  6 13:07 overview.win.pcl