unable to open print file - Permission denied

Florian Effenberger floeff at arcor.de
Wed Sep 8 07:38:33 PDT 2004

Hello there,

I have just compiled CUPS 1.1.20 with the following configure parameters:

/configure --prefix=/usr/local/cups --with-cups-user=cups --with-cups-group=cups --with-docdir=/usr/local/cups/docdir --with-logdir=/usr/local/cups/logdir --with-rcdir=/usr/local/cups/rcdir --enable-ssl

The cups user has been created with adduser --system --no-create-home --group cups.

I can set up printers just fine, however, as soon as I print out a test page, I get

"unable to open print file "/usr/local/cups/var/spool/cups/d00001-001" - Permission denied"

I have also tried to leave out --with-cups-user and --with-cups-group completely, that didn't help as well. Even setting chmod 777 on /usr/local/cups/var/spool/cups doesn't help. I want to print via LPR to an external print server, which works fine when running as root.

Additionally, I receive an "server-internal-error" when going into the printers PPD configuration page, except when the server is run as root.

The permissions of the spool directory change the group according to my setting in cupsd.conf, however, the user is always "root" and I guess that's the culprit. This one should be changed to the user running CUPS as well as otherwise CUPS cannot write into that directory.

What's up? I think I followed all of the configuration items, but I cannot find out what's wrong...

Thanks a lot!
Florian