[cups.general] Notification when a print job is not printed

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Wed Sep 1 06:13:40 PDT 2004

Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it somehow possible to get a mail or something else, if a
> print job is not printed within a certain time (say 90min).
> We have sometimes trouble with some pdf-files or 1-2 printers.
> In the moment I check it manually.
> Is there a better way to do it ?

CUPS 1.1.x does not support notifications of any kind, but you may
implement workarounds by wrapping the respective backend
into a script (shell, Perl, Python, whatever you like) which in turn
calls the original backend and e.g. does some alarm handling and
make a notification if needed (by e-mail or SNMP or whatever
you like).

For some backends you may need to do a hack, as they get the
device URI from argv[0] which cannot be easily simulated in most
scripting languages.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com