Destroyed own printer setup?

vollerthun at web.de vollerthun at web.de
Sun Sep 5 13:33:03 PDT 2004

Hello.
I have a second-hand OKI OL 610ex locally attached to my linux box.
Since it understands PCL, it was no big deal speaking to it as a laserjet printer (one of the gimp-print PPLs showed the best results).

When I moved from LPRng to CUPS, it took me several weeks before I realized that gs couldn't find some fonts and that's why something didn't work. Back then, I was really keen on finding this out myself!

Now I'm having a problem with that very printer, again. I haven't used it for quite a while, updated the kernel to 2.6.1 etc.pp.
Trying to print results in dozens of almost white pages with only one line (or sparsely spread over the whole page) of, well, characters (smileys, arrows and others), but nothing that's like what I expected.

What I'm hoping for, now, is that someone jumps forward shouting: "It's just the bar-o-magic script-foo that you've forgotten to  start"
since it printer used to work (once upon a time) and I didn't change the CUPS installation nor gs.

BTW: As one could expect, the error-log doesn't indicate any errors in the filtering or somewhere else.

-T-