Cups simple security

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Sep 22 09:24:28 PDT 2004

jtolds at xnet5.com wrote:
> Hello
> I would like CUPS to be set up that only the computer it's running on
> and one other computer can print.
> I cannot use "Allow" and localhost with the other computer's ip
> address as it is dynamic.
> So I added AuthType Basic AuthClass User to <Location />, but then
> even on localhost I was required to give a password.

You can use:

     AuthType Basic
     Order Deny,Allow
     Deny from all
     Allow from 127.0.0.1
     Satisfy any

to require a password for remote access an allow without password
for local access.

> What is the best way to only allow one computer with a dynamic ip
> (that can use passwords) as well as localhost (without passwords) to
> print to cups?

If the other computer is the only other computer on the network,
you can also use:

     Allow from @LOCAL

to allow connections from the local network(s).