Problems printing from XP's "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" application using CUPS driver

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Sep 7 11:00:19 PDT 2004

Sean Millichamp wrote:
> Do you mean that in the CUPS 1.1.21 distribution there is an updated
> Windows driver that I should be using instead of the "CUPS Driver for
> Windows" available at the webpage?  I poked through the cups-1.1.21rc2
> source and didn't see anything that looked like the Windows driver but I
> admit I really don't know what I'd be looking for.

Do a "man cupsaddsmb" to see the instructions there.

> OR, do you mean that I should be using some driver provided with Windows
> 2K/XP instead of the "CUPS Driver for Windows" but that the
> Postscript driver included with Windows 2K/XP generates output that CUPS
> prior to 1.1.21 won't accept/process properly?  If I wanted to try this
> new Windows Postscript driver how would I find it listed in Windows (or,
> where would I find it to download)?

The existing Windows 2000 PostScript driver (PSCRIPT5.DLL, PS5UI.DLL,
etc.) works with any version of CUPS.  CUPS 1.1.21 adds support for it
via the cupsaddsmb program, which exports the driver through SAMBA.
You just need to copy the files from a Win2k system as covered in the
cupsaddsmb man page.

The new cupsaddsmb also massages the PPD files so that JCL options
are embedded as CUPS job tickets, among other things.  This allows the
older Win9x drivers to provide printer accounting and more of the
CUPS options.

Ultimately we'll also be providing a download from the CUPS Windows
driver page which will include the new CUPS driver UI and driver
components (which extend the existing Windows 2k driver), but they
are still pre-beta quality.  The existing 1.1.21rc2 cupsaddsmb
supports Win2k and Win9x drivers, but not the old NT drivers.